Serve in the traditional way as fajitas, or top a salad with all the fixings and enjoy.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh thyme plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup dry white vermouth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb flank steak, trimmed
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, bell peppers and minced thyme; saute 8 minutes. Stir in vermouth, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Lower heat and continue cooking for 8 minutes more. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, pat steak dry and season both sides with remaining salt and pepper. Heat a large grill pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat; add steak and cook 4 minutes. Flip steak and cook 3 to 4 minutes more for medium rare. Transfer to cutting board and let rest 5 minutes (resting meat is an important step to let the juices settle in). Cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Divide onion-and-pepper mixture among 4 dinner plates and top each with flank steak slices. Sprinkle with goat cheese and garnish with a thyme sprig.
Per serving: 362 calories, 31g protein, 8g carbohydrates, 19g fat (9.6g saturated), 2g fiber