I’m home recuperating from an injury and watching many many different shows to pass the time. Giada at home is a particular favorite on The Food Network and yesterday, I watched her make this recipe for turkey, kale and farro soup. It looks absolutely delicious and was really easy to make, so I knew I had to share with you.
From Giada at Home TV show and The Food Network website
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 to 6 large shallots, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces ground white turkey meat, broken into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
- 1 cup cooked farro (you could sub in brown rice if desired)
- 1 small bunch kale, de-stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 4 packed cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, carrots and bell pepper and sauté, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to brown and soften slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and stir until the meat turns white and begins to color very slightly around the edges, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the herbs de Provence and stir, 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes and rice.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in the kale and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and the freshly ground black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle each serving with parsley and Parmesan, if using, and serve.
Per Serving (based on a 4-serving yield): 341 calories, 11.5g fat, 27g protein, 37g carbs, 7g sugar, 5g fiber, 27mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium