Salsa with mango or other fruit like fresh peaches adds an unexpected sweetness, which goes well with the sharpness of red onion.
Plus, it’s a really easy way to slip more fruit into your diet, right? As an added bonus, this recipe goes really well served on grilled fish like salmon or tilapia. Try it out with fish tacos tonight!
From Health Magazine, June 2013
- 2 large mangoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- Peel mango and cut along sides of pit to remove flesh. Dice into 1-inch cubes and place into a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until well-blended.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips. My favorite, healthier brands are Garden of Eatin’ baked blue or yellow tortilla chips and Trader Joe’s baked blue corn chips. Or, you can make your own tortilla chips by following this recipe.
Serving size 1/2 cup. 77 calories, 0g fat, 0g cholesterol, 2g fiber, 1g protein, 19g carbohydrates, 26mg sodium, 16g sugar, 19mg calcium