It’s no secret that exercise is good for your health. Building a habit of regular exercise into your life is a key part of managing your weight and keeping your heart, lungs, and other bodily systems in tip-top shape. But it can also dramatically impact your life in so many ways, helping you perform better at your job and enjoy life more outside of work.
Moving more not only helps you accomplish more, here’s why it’s also critical to being your best at work and in life: From making you more productive, to boosting energy and stamina, to spurring creative thinking, to elevating your mood and even helping you sleep better—moving more each day can dramatically help you live and work better.
With all of these benefits, you’d think everyone would be exercising all the time, right? Unfortunately, no. We’re now more sedentary than ever.
- Less than 2 in 10 Americans gets even the bare minimum amount of activity each week recommended by the American Heart Association.
- Even worse, 40% of Americans say they never exercise.
- We’re awake about 16 hours each day. But according to the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sport, our muscles are inactive most of that time—even for those of us who exercise!
How is that even possible?
Take a second to think about your average day. After rushing out the door, you sit in the car or on mass transit on the way to work. At work, you sit at your desk. Or you sit in a series of endless meetings. On the way home, you sit some more. And when you get home? It’s couch time. Then you go to bed. It’s easy, then, to see how your muscles could be inactive for most of the day.
Plus, I’m betting exercise consistently slips down the priority list when you look at your packed schedule. The same is true for so many of us. Not only are we not getting all of the benefits of regular exercise, but we’re actually harming our health by sitting so much.
The good news is all is not lost. You can reverse the affects of “sitting disease.”And you can reap all of the benefits that regular exercise delivers. I’ll tell you how during a free Lunch & Learn Webinar session on May 16. Here’s just some of what you’ll walk away with:
- How your body adapts to exercise
- The very real health benefits of exercise and 13 other surprising benefits
- How much and what kind of exercise you need to reap the health and other benefits
- Tips to move more throughout the day and reverse the affects of sitting disease.
And attend Move More to Accomplish More—Exercise is the Secret Sauce to Better Performance in All Areas of Your Life, my free Lunch & Learn Webinar on Thursday, May 16 from noon to 12:40 PT.
Attend the full session on June 12 from 12 noon to 1:15 PT. Click here to register and get a really sweet deal on the registration fee!
Check out the blog for healthy recipes, golden nuggets of wisdom and workouts you can do anywhere.
- Avoid Couch Potato Syndrome: Take a TV Exercise Break